History

The Bluffs at Mill Branch is on land that played a significant role in early Texas history. It overlooks the site of a village occupied by the Hasinais Caddo tribe, commonly called the "Tejas," that gave the state its name. Also nearby is the site of the trading camp of Louis de St. Denis, a French trader who led the Spanish to the Kingdom of the Tejas in 1716 and then supplied their missions with goods for the next thirty years. In 1796 the Spanish crown granted this land to Don Bernardo D'Ortolan, who was born in France but rose in the Spanish military to become Captain of the Nacogdoches Militia. The El Camino Real de los Tejas, the main transportation corridor of early Texas, ran past his house in the early 1800s, and many of the early founders of Texas passed through the property. The preserved fireplace stones of D'Ortolan's house are the earliest European building remains still in their original location anywhere in East Texas.

The Bluffs at Mill Branch is being developed by a family that has ancestors in Nacogdoches County dating back to the early 1800s. In 1919 the family began acquiring a 3,000-acre parcel of land that includes this beautiful development. 

 

 




Privacy Policy
© 2013-2020 The Bluffs at Mill Branch
Texas Real Estate Commission Information About Brokerage Services